Skip to main content

Summer - A Time to Recharge, Reflect, and Count Your Blessings

Good morning friends! It is 4th of July weekend and I am just sitting here on this quiet Sunday morning, looking out my deck doors at the beautiful sunshine and reflecting on life. It is not often that I stop long enough to  have time to notice the blessings around me, but I want to make a conscious effort to do that each day. I am even going to start a blessings journal and begin writing in it each day. During the school year it is so easy to get caught up in the mundane day to day tasks that we all have - lesson planning (though that can be quite fun and exciting, yet sometimes a chore as well), meetings, behavior concerns, academics, politics, paperwork, testing, testing, and MORE testing... It's so easy for me to become discouraged, down, and dwelling on the negative. I've decided that to change that I need to make a conscious effort each day. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that feels this way from time to time. We all have struggles. That's life. It has its ups and downs. I want to rework my brain to focus on the ups, rather than the downs.

Many of you may have seen my YouTube channel, and if not, I welcome you to check it out here:
GlitterandJams

In one of my videos, I shared some of my experiences of being unable to walk for almost a year due to a foot injury. During that time it was very difficult to do anything. I got very down at times and felt like it would never end. I am a Christian. I know that God has a purpose in everything. But even knowing that, life was a struggle and sometimes (many times) it got the best of me and I broke down. Looking back on that time now, I can appreciate what I learned along my difficult journey. My journey is not completely over. I have residual effects from the injury and the subsequent surgery, but praise God I am WALKING again and that is good enough for now. I will praise Him for that! That is HUGE for me!

Anyway, I don't mean this blog to come off sounding like a pity-party or a Debbie-Downer. I am meaning this to maybe spark some reflective thoughts in others as well since most of us teachers in the U.S. are getting a bit of a break from the everyday stresses of school.

Here's what I have learned over my 40-some years of life on this Earth.

1. Everything changes. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes not. But nothing stays the same forever. Take comfort in that fact. This means that the hard times will end. Just hang on.

2. Adjust your priorities by thinking about how this situation will be thought of in 6 months, a year, or 5 years down the road. Will it even matter then? If not, let it go....

3. Love HARD and be KIND. It can only bring joy to you and everyone around you.

4. Life is short. Cliche, I know. But so, so true. Please refer to 1-3 and apply accordingly.

5. There is a positive in every situation, you just have to look for it (sometimes with a magnifying glass).

6. Hard times teach us important things and make us STRONGER.

7. Ask for help. No one is an island. No one can do it all by themselves. God did not mean for us to suffer in silence and alone. Draw on your community for support - friends, family, co-workers.

8. When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on for dear life! I'm sure you've heard this before, but think about it for a minute. It is so true. Refer to #1.

9. Even if it seems like no one cares, I guarantee someone does. And even if you're not a Christian, God cares about you too.

10. MOST IMPORTANT  - PRAY. Just the effort of reaching out to God in your times of need or times of joy can only result in good things. If you've never tried this, I pose this question "what could it hurt?"

Now, for the FUN part - counting your blessings...

Here are some of mine:

1. God made me and will never leave me.

2. I have a family that loves me in all of my imperfection and mistakes.

3. I have a warm, comfortable home.

4. I have food.

5. I have clothing.

6. I have 4 furry friends who love and comfort me every day. Sometimes all you need is a warm kitty snuggle to melt away the worries of the day.

7. I am building a community of teacher vloggers with whom I am beginning friendships. That's exciting!

8. I don't have to accomplish much right now because it's summer. I can be a regular person and just do regular person things, like laundry and grocery shopping without throwing in lesson planning, intervention activities, meetings, and paperwork.

9. Piggybacking on #8, I don't have to set an alarm!

10. There is still more summer left to enjoy!

Have you counted your blessings today? If not, I encourage you to do so as well.

I hope you are enjoying your time to recharge and reflect.

Love and hugs!

Jennifer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a YouTuber!

Look what's new!!! Hi friends! It's been awhile since I've made a post. So long, in fact, that my previous blog did not recognize me, nor let me create a new post! Oh, well. Time for a fresh start anyway I guess! Happy summer! I just wanted to let everyone know that I have become a pretty consistent YouTuber as of late and am really enjoying it. Who would've thunk it??? Not me, for sure! I posted some Jamberry unboxing videos back in January when I was still recuperating from surgery during Christmas break. Now I've expanded my videos to include my classroom and teaching life. So, if you're interested in seeing what's up in room B105, check out this link:  GlitterandJams I'll be blogging some too, and we'll see how often that happens....I will DEFINITELY be posting classroom tour pics when it's that time again. I am in NO rush! Summer has just begun and for the first time in a long time, I am NOT doing summer school. I hope summer is treat...

Last Year's Classroom Set-Up and What's Coming Up in 2017-18

Good morning sweet teacher and non-teacher friends! I thought I would post some pics of my classroom at the beginning of last school year and then you'll be able to see the differences when I set up for 2017-18. I am transitioning my theme from owls to pineapples. I just LOVE what pineapples symbolize - hospitality. Our classroom motto will be "Stand Tall. Wear a Crown. Be sweet on the Inside." What great character traits for an elementary classroom! These go along GREAT with our School Wide PBIS system as well. Be Safe. Be Respectful. Be Responsible. I always want students, parents, and visitors to our room to feel welcome and comfortable. I also want to be comfortable in my home away from home. Let's face it. We spend most of our waking hours during the school year in our classrooms and they have to be a pleasant place to spend our time or it's not a very nice place to be. So...here are some pics from LAST year's (2016-17) tour... This is my cubby ar...